Friday, June 22, 2018

On the Pond
34 x 36   Oil on Linen

I kept a journal for a year, faithfully recording my life as an artist. Here is my entry from
Saturday February 20:
I couldn't tell if I was dreaming or awake. I was at the scene in my painting, at the pond. I could feel the crisp cold air and the warm sun on my face. The kids took no notice of me at first and the two young lovers were in their own world too. I watched the clouds roll in and took notice of the movement of the branches on the trees. It was all so vivid, so alive. This is how I want it to be in the painting. One of the kids gave me stick and asked if I wanted to pass the puck around with them. I joined in and became part of my own painting.
I woke early and took our dog, Mika, out for her morning snuffle. I fed her, started a fire in the basement and one in my studio, and turned up the gas flame in Elizabeth's studio. When I got back to the house Elizabeth was up and ready to start her day too. We chatted and had breakfast together. For 31 years this has always been the way we start our day. She prepares her breakfast and I gather mine. We sit and discuss the events of the previous day and world events, and share how we see the day going forward. Once the day gets started events can take on a life of their own so we always take a little time each morning to enjoy each other's company.
Finally I'm in the studio with a full day to work. After my semi-dreamlike night I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my painting. I worked hard, but lovingly, on the young couple, trying to make them look like they were in a world of their own. And I worked on the kids, the ones I was playing with just a few hours ago. I wanted them to be alive, in motion, focused on their play as they moved through the crisp cold air. It took all my talent and training to bring them to life. It was a good day, I had a brush in my hand.....

No comments: