Wednesday, April 14, 2021

 Arielle
20 x 16   Oil on Linen

I like to listen to what I’m painting, to hear what I see. Being a romantic it often sounds Brahmsian or Chopinesque. But when Arielle came to pose for me I heard something quite different. It was more intense, a bit startling, like Stravinsky. There was a rhythmic energy to her pose. As I composed my painting it came to me as shapes and patterns rather than forms and dimension. The colors were harmonically dissonant and more chromatically intense than I usually paint. My brushwork came in quick, punchy strokes instead of my customary long legato lines. I continued to listen as I painted and tried to keep control of the orchestra of colors playing wildly on my palette. I may have been dancing with the devil, but my painting had a fresh, modern liveliness…not unlike Arielle herself.....

No comments: