Saturday, September 21, 2024

 Foggy Moonrise
16 x 16"   Oil on Panel

The weather report said it was going to be a foggy night, but, no matter, I wanted to go out and see the moon. I turned off all the lights in the house and stepped outside. It was like stepping off the earth and into a cloud. As I walked away from the house it disappeared into the fog. The trees that I knew to be in front of me had lost their form, lost their shape, and were now just dark tones at the bottom of the cloud. I was living in an abstract painting, there was no foreground or background. Except for the fact that my feet were still attached to the earth I could have been floating in space. I watched as the density of the fog ebbed and flowed, sometimes allowing the trees to be more visible, sometimes less. It was such an intense experience that I had completely forgotten about the moon. Not a sound could be heard, even the crickets were quiet. It was not so much an eerie silence as it was a peaceful calm. Suddenly there was a gentle breeze, the fog thinned a bit above the dark tones of the trees, allowing the moon to make a brief appearance. I watched in awe as it struggled to be seen, radiating moonbeams through the misty shroud…

No comments: